Friday, October 3, 2014

The Perfect Morning

I woke up early and packed a bag for my morning with Hope. I wanted to spend some quality time alone with her before the vet arrived. I packed a thermos of hot jasmine tea, a china cup and saucer, some candy and chips, a beach towel, and a book that my friend Andrea suggested called The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado. 

Each morning I walk up to her stall gets a little easier... I'm a little less fearful, but every bit as excited to see her.  This morning, as soon as I opened the top to the dutch door, she greeted me with the cutest, "Baaahhhh".  Gosh, she's so cute. ♥


When I went to pet her though, she darted away and ran around the stall a couple times.  I was wrong to think we could pick up where we left off the day before.  So I laid out the beach towel, poured myself a cup of hot tea and sat down across the stall from her. Instead of talking to her as I usually do, I decided to just be still.  I noticed there were flies buzzing around me, and I batted them away - fearful they'd land on my teacup wanting a sip of my sugary tea.  Except for the flies, I thought, this was a perfect morning.

Hope finally settled and lay down in the corner across from me, right next to her food bowl.  As she kept her eyes on me, I quietly read her the story of Baby Jesus and the crippled lamb.  It was my first time reading the book, and it made me cry... such a sweet story.  I held the book up as I read, being sure to make eye contact with Hope while showing her the beautiful pictures on each page. 

I read... and she listened.  And she watched me very closely.

Hope listening to me read The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado



And when I was finished reading and set down the book, Hope slowly got up and walked right over to me.  She tilted her cute little head as she looked right at my face, and then she licked my hand. As tears rolled down my cheeks, I noticed that all the flies were gone... and all was still... And my heart was full.


This was the perfect morning. ♥

4 comments :

  1. This makes me so happy. Thank you Shana xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet Tavia... ♥ I hope you and your critters are all well!!

      Delete
  2. This is so happy, but so sad. I love your love for animals, you are a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust takes time and patience with us all. Whatever hurt or pain has been, with quiet compassion trust and friendship will grow. You are doing just that. And she is feeling it too.

    ReplyDelete